Facebook. It permeates into the far corners of our online lives. Vernon and David discuss how Facebook on mobile has changed how the world “internets”. The two weigh the reasons for and against installing Windows 10 when it is first available to the public. As always, Tip of the Episode, news, and personal app picks are included.
This Week’s Poll
How Often do you check Facebook? – Cast your vote here
Tip of the Episode
Using Cortana’s Remind Me, 2 things:
- If Cortana misunderstands your words, you can play the audio back later
- If you want to mark a reminder as “complete” from calendar, tap it, choose “…” and select “complete.”
Facebook, and how it dominates the mobile experience.
Facebook usage stats (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/22869910585174168/):
63% of FB users visit daily and 40% multiple times per day.
47% of Americans say Facebook is their #1 influencer of purchases.
1 million webpages are accessed using “Login with FB” feature
70% of marketers used FB to gain new customers
Other stats (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/22869910585174174/):
684,478 pieces of content shared on FB per minute
189 million of FB’s users are “mobile only” (out of 1.44 billion monthly active users)
What will a Windows 7 user lose from upgrading to Windows 10?
- First off, you’ll be gaining numerous features.
- Native DVD playback or Media Center. Solution: VLC
- Desktop gadgets. Solution: Windows apps with Live Tiles, or Desktop Gadgets Reviver
- Hearts, Solitaire, Pinball, etc. Solution: Windows Store apps
- CD mounting software (iso). Solution: build into Windows 10
- OEM software (HP Utilities, Dell Connectivity, etc). Solution: N/A
- If you don’t have the Pro version of Windows 10, you can’t choose which updates to stop vs. automatic ones.
- Slight OneDrive change from Windows 7 to Windows 10, an even larger difference from Windows 8 though. No “online-only” options now, only picking certain folders to sync works now.
Apple Plans Streaming Music Push at Dev Conference http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/06/07/apple-plans-streaming-music-push-at-developer-conference/ Would be interesting to see how it stacks up against its own iTunes Radio, and Xbox Music.
Im2Calories: Google algorithm that measures calories of food in Instagram photos http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/google-developing-calorie-counter-instagram-photos-article-1.2249828 Could Microsoft add this into their health app very easily?
Windows Phone app:
- David: Silicon Valley
- Vernon: Emergency
- David: Marketplace on Stitcher, interview with Thomas Middleditch of Silicon Valley s/out to @DerrekLeigh
- Vernon: Social Media Social Hour, with Tyler Anderson
PLEASE don’t overuse/abuse auto posting.
Thank you for listening to episode the MS Mobile Show!
If you enjoyed the show, we’d love it if you listened again! The best way to do so, is to subscribe to the podcast with your favorite podcast app. You can find the link at MSMobileShow.com/subscribe
We’d love to hear from you what you are using to listen to the show! You can contact the show via Twitter at @MSMobileShow
And you can reach Vernon on Twitter at @VernonEL